- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped into small chunks
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow squash, quartered and diced
- 10 baby carrots, sliced thinly
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta (elbow macaroni, rotini, penne, etc.) (GF use GF Pasta)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. panko breadcrumbs (GF use Ians GF Panko)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Set a medium pot of salted water to boil.
- Prepare a large baking sheet by lining with aluminum foil and coating with a little olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Toss broccoli, red pepper, squash and carrots onto the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Once water is boiling, lower heat slightly and add pasta, cooking according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheddar cheese until well distributed and melted. Add red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Add macaroni and vegetables.
- Place mixture in a large casserole dish and sprinkle with panko breadcrumbs. Place under the broiler in your oven (500 degrees) for 3-4 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market