- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1-½ cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 whole Large Egg
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour (GF Use Domata)
- 2-½ cups Quick Oats (GF use Bobs Red Mill GF oats)
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoons Baking Soda
- ¾ cups Sweetened, Condensed Milk
- 1-¼ cup Butterscotch Morsels
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- ½ cups Finely Chopped Walnuts, Toasted
- Preparation Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously grease a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and brown sugar together until creamy.
- Stir in the vanilla and the egg. Set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level each with a knife. You dont want to add too much flour or pack it in or it will make the bars dry.
- Combine flour, oats, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Add oat mixture into the sugar mixture all at once and stir with a fork until combined (mixture will be crumbly).
- Place about 3 cups of the oat mixture into the bottom your glass baking dish, to cover it.
- Press it down to create a nice, even layer of bottom crust. Set aside.
- Place sweetened condensed milk, butterscotch morsels, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on full-power for about 1 minute or until butterscotch morsels melt, stirring every 20 seconds.
- Repeat for additional 20 second increments until smooth and combined. Stir walnuts into the butterscotch mixture then scrape the mixture into the baking dish, spreading evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle evenly with remaining oat mixture, gently pressing it into the butterscotch mixture.
- Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place pan on a cooling rack and run a knife around outside edge.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars. As the bars come to room temperature, they will take on a delicious fudge-like texture in the center.
- For a special treat, scoop some of the bars out when theyre hot (with a spoon) and serve over ice cream.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market