- 2 large limes
- 1 large ruby red grapefruit
- 1 large tangerine
- 1 large navel orange
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced serrano chile
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Grate 1 teaspoon rind and squeeze 5 tablespoons juice from limes. Place rind and 4 tablespoons juice in a medium bowl; place the remaining 1 tablespoon juice in a separate medium bowl.
- Grate 1 teaspoon grapefruit rind; section grapefruit. Grate 1 teaspoon tangerine rind; section tangerine. Grate 1 teaspoon orange rind; section orange. Add citrus sections to 1 tablespoon lime juice in bowl; set aside.
- Add rinds to lime rind mixture. Add 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, and chile to rind mixture; stir with a whisk.
- Place chicken, breast side down, on a cutting board. Using poultry shears, cut along both sides of backbone, and open chicken like a book. Turn chicken breast side up; using the heel of your hand, press firmly against the breastbone until it cracks. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Discard backbone and skin. Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Spread citrus rind mixture evenly over chicken. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Position oven rack in lower third of oven. Preheat broiler to high.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Broil chicken, breast side down, 20 minutes. Turn chicken over; broil an additional 20 minutes or until done, turning pan occasionally. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine reserved citrus section mixture, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, red onion, mint, and cilantro; toss to combine.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market