- 4 red grapefruits
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 avocados, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Two 14-ounce cans hearts of palm, drained and sliced 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- Using a sharp knife, peel the red grapefruits, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a cutting board, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Cut the grapefruit sections into bite-size pieces.
- Squeeze the grapefruit membranes over a small bowl and reserve 1/4 cup of the grapefruit juice. Whisk in the tamarind concentrate, fresh lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and cumin. Whisk in the canola oil in a thin stream. Season the salad dressing with salt and Tabasco.
- Transfer the grapefruit pieces to a large bowl. Add the avocados, onion, hearts of palm, cilantro and dressing. Toss gently and serve right away.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market