- 4 cups fresh or unthawed frozen cranberries (from one 14.5-ounce package)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice (from about 3 oranges)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 3 large egg yolks plus 1 large whole egg
- 40 Pastry Cups
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Place cranberries, water, and orange juice in a saucepan, cover, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst, about 35 minutes. Press through a fine sieve, scraping back of sieve to get all the pulp (you should have about 1 3/4 cups), and discard solids. Cook pulp in pan with butter, sugar, and salt over medium heat, stirring, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved, about 7 minutes.
- Whisk together egg yolks and egg in a medium bowl, then whisk in cranberry mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time. Return mixture to pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 8 minutes. Pass through sieve into a bowl (you should have about 3 cups) and press plastic wrap directly on surface of curd to cover. Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes. To serve, let guests assemble their own tartlets, or spoon curd into pastry cups and top with whipped cream.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market