Makes 3 cups
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 12 oz mixed wild mushrooms (such as oyster, morel and stemmed shiitake), sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage or 3/4 tsp dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala
- 1/2 cup dry Sherry
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oil, shallots and garlic in small glass baking dish. Cover dish with foil. Bake until shallots and garlic are very tender and pale golden, about 1 hour. Cool slightly. Thinly slice shallots and garlic; reserve oil in dish. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
- Transfer 1 tablespoon oil from baking dish to heavy large saucepan. Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, sage, and roasted shallots and garlic to saucepan; sauté until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add Marsala and Sherry; boil until syrupy, about 6 minutes. Add stock; boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add cream; boil until mixture thickens to sauce consistency, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with turkey.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market