- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Sherry vinegar (available at specialty foods shops and some supermarkets)
- 1 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 2 1/2 pounds (about 6 medium) tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup minced mixed fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, tarragon, and/or mint plus an herb sprig for garnish
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, the vinegar, the mustard, the garlic, the sugar, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a stream, whisking, and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified.
- Arrange the tomato slices on a deep platter, scatter the onion and the shallots over them, and pour the dressing over the salad. Chill the salad for 20 minutes, sprinkle it with the minced herbs, and garnish it with the herb sprig.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market