This recipe has gluten free notes.
- 1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked and drained (GF use GF noodles)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (GF use cornstarch)
- 6 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 4-6 Strips of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (GF use Schaar)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter, add the garlic and cook until the garlic is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the onion powder, then whisk in the flour and milk, then cook until slightly thickened. Add three cups of the cheddar cheese and stir until melted in the mixture. Toss the cheese mixture with the cooked pasta, bacon, salt and pepper to taste. Stir the remaining grated cheese into the pasta. Spoon into a large baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs and melted butter. I always like to add a bunch of freshly ground pepper and a sprinkling of sea salt to this mixture. Spread over the pasta. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market