This recipe is Gluten Free
- Pie Crust Ingredients: (or you can use an unbaked, prepared crust) (GF use grandma Fredones premade crust)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup cold lard (non-hydrogenated if available)*
- 1/2 cup cold butter, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 egg and 1 teaspoon heavy cream for egg wash
- *you can substitute vegetable shortening here if you wish, but I highly recommend the lard!
- Filling Ingredients:
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 cup flour (GF use Domata)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar, reserve 1 tablespoon
- Dash salt
- 1 cup sour cream (not fat-free)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. To make the crust, combine by pulsing flour and salt together. Add scoops of lard and pulse into the mixture has the texture of coarse sand, about 10 seconds. Add in chunks of butter and pulse until butter pieces are no larger than small peas, about 10 pulses. Add minimum amount of water and pulse on low. If dough remains crumbly and doesnÄôt come together, add another tablespoon of water. Add as little as is required to enable the dough to be rolled into a ball. Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 20-30.
- Roll disk of dough out to around 2 inches larger than your pie plate and transfer it, situating it in the plate. Fold the excess dough around the edges and crimp, trimming where necessary.
- Hull and wash the strawberries and slice them in half. Set aside. Sift flour, sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add sour cream, blending until creamy. Gently fold in the berries without over mixing. Pour fruit into pie shell and spread to edges without packing down Äî there should be spaces throughout the filling. Sprinkle the top with the last 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake the pie for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F (I leave the oven door open a minute during this period to let the temperature drop a little) and bake an additional 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Broil the pie for 2-3 minutes to brown up the top. Allow to cool completely before cutting, and serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market