This recipe contains gluten free notes.
- 1 flank steak (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs (GF use Schaar or Ians)
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat oven to 425 degree F.
- Lay steak on work surface. Holding sharp knife parallel to work surface and starting at a long side, slice flank steak in half to opposite long side, without cutting all the way through; open up the steak like a book. Flatten slightly to an even thickness.
- Squeeze liquid from spinach; discard liquid. In medium-size bowl, combine spinach, cheese, peppers, bread crumbs, egg yolk, 1/4 teaspoon each of the garlic salt and the pepper.
- Season steak with an additional 1/4 teaspoon each of the garlic salt and pepper. Press filling onto steak, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Roll up steak to enclose filling, beginning on a short side; the grain of the meat will be running from left to right. Tuck any loose filling back into ends.
- Tie steak with cotton twine at 2-inch intervals to secure. Rub outside with oil, then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each garlic salt and pepper.
- Roast at 425 degree F for 35 minutes, then increase heat to broil and broil for 10 minutes, turning once. Let meat rest 15 minutes. Remove twine, slice and serve
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market