Makes 8-10 servings
- 10 egg whites
- 2 3/4 cups superfine sugar
- 1 1/4 cups hazelnuts, toasted, peeled, and ground
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 lb. strawberries, hulled and sliced into large chunks
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl to stiff peaks. Add half of the sugar and beat again to stiff peaks. Gently fold in hazelnuts and remaining sugar. Pour meringue onto center of prepared baking sheet in a steady stream. Using a rubber spatula, carefully spread meringue out into an 8"-wide circle (it will look like a tall cake). Bake meringue for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 275°, and bake until just darkened and dry on outside and slightly gooey inside, about 40 minutes more. (The surface of the meringue may crack slightly while baking.) Remove from oven and set aside to let cool.
- To assemble: Carefully run a spatula or knife under bottom of meringue to loosen it, and transfer it to a plate or cake stand (meringue may crack a bit more, but that's okay). In a large bowl, beat heavy cream to stiff peaks. Top meringue with whipped cream, spreading it out in an even layer, and heap strawberries atop cream. Serve immediately
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market