- 2 pounds orange roughy fillets, cut to make 4 pieces
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 pound mushrooms, cut into thin slices
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh ginger
- 2 scallions including green tops, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 ¾ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ cup dry white wine or sherry
- ½ cup canned low-sodium chicken broth
- Have your fish steamed at Gooseberries Fresh Food Market Seafood Department before you even take them home so they are ready to go
- In a large pot, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil. Sprinkle the fish with ½ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper. Fold each fillet in half and put the fillets in a steamer basket over the boiling water. Reduce the heat to moderately high, cove r and steam until just done, about 10 minutes for folded ½ inch- thick fillets.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat the tablespoons oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms and the remaining ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Top the fish with the mushrooms.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low. Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in the pan; add the ginger, scallions, and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the soy sauce, dry mustard, wine and broth. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the mushrooms and fish.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market