Makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ¼ cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup dried apricots quartered
- ¼ cup dark or golden raisins
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Season the chicken thighs and drumsticks with ¼ teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until browned, turning, about 8 minutes in all. Remove. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the onion and garlic to the pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper, the allspice, and the red pepper flakes.
- Add the chicken, apricots, and raisins. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, and simmer the chicken partially covered, until just done about 20 minutes. Serve topped with the parsley.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market