- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup bread cubes
- 1 med. onion
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 1/2 cups cut-up tomatoes
- Dash Tabasco
- Dash sweet dried leaf basil
- Crushed saltine crackers, for topping
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in skillet; add bread cubes and brown lightly. Add more butter if needed and lightly brown onions. Fry bacon in another skillet; drain bacon and crumble into the butter and bread mixture.
- Add sugar, tomatoes, Tabasco, and basil; mix together to blend well, then spoon into 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover with crushed crackers. Bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes. Add cheese on top last 15 minutes.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market