- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 tsp canola or corn oil
- 1 lb top round steak, all visible fat discarded, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, cut lengthwise into eigths
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee grounds
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 medium carrots, cut crosswise into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper and 1 medium red bell pepper, or 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into 1 inch squares
- 2 tbsp no salt added ketchup
- 1 tbsp Italian salad dressing mix (about half .7 oz pkt)
- Lightly spray a Dutch oven with vegetable oil spray. Pour in the oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook the steak for 3 to 4 minutes, or until beginning to brown, stirring frequently. Stir in the onion, water, coffee granules, and pepper. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until the beef just begins to become slightly tender (no stirring needed).
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the beef is very tender (no stirring needed).
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market