Makes 10-12 servings
This recipe is Gluten Free
- 1 (10 ½ lb) corned beef brisket (flat cut preferred)
- 2 ½ lbs onions
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 large carrots , peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large celery ribs , cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves
- 12 black peppercorns
- ½ cup coarse grain mustard
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Place beef in heavy large pot. Stud each onion with 4 cloves. Add to pot with carrots, celery, garlic and peppercorns. Cover with water. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 3-1/4 hours, turning beef every hour. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate beef in cooking liquid. Bring to room temperature before baking.).
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Drain beef and pat dry. Arrange fat side up in large roasting pan. Cut off any excess fat and discard. Spread coarse-grained mustard over beef. Pour 2-1/2 cups sauce over beef. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake until beef is glazed deep rich brown, basting every 15 minutes, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer to large platter. Spoon some of sauce over top. Serve immediately, passing remaining sauce separately.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market