This recipe is gluten free.
- 2 1/2 oz. bacon, either American or German "Bauchspeck", chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 4 cup shredded red cabbage, about 1 lb.
- 1/2 cup dry, red wine
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tbsp sugar or agave nectar or honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- Ground black pepper
- 1 apple, peeled and quartered
- Brown bacon in a dutch oven. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour in red wine and juice to deglaze, add the spices, sugar and apple.
- Simmer on stove top for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Keep the liquids one finger width (1/2 inch) deep, adding apple juice or water. Adjust seasonings. Serve hot.
- Note: This recipe freezes well. Make it once, serve it twice. I put it in freezer bags and press it flat (1 inch) so that it thaws quickly. I can also break off 1 serving and keep the rest frozen.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market