Makes 6 servings
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 to 5 pounds
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
- Sprigs and leaves of fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, and basil, optional
- Heat oven to 350°. Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Line a roasting pan with foil or spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Put a rack in the pan or set 4 3-inch ribs of celery in the pan to make a simple rack.
- Sprinkle the chicken and cavity with salt and pepper. Using fingers to slide under the skin, gently loosen skin over the chicken breasts and legs. Mix butter with garlic; spread butter evenly under the skin, then tuck whole basil leaves under the skin.
- If desired put other herb leaves under skin. Put some herb sprigs and leaves in the cavity of the chicken, if desired. Place the chicken on the rack or celery in the roasting pan.
- Roast the chicken for 15 to 20 minutes per pound, or until chicken registers about 165° when an instant-read thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh. Brush the chicken with the orange glaze mixture and continue roasting for 10 minutes longer, brushing a few more times with glaze.
- Let chicken rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market