- 1 whole chicken, about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds
- Salt, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. 5-spice powder
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 green onions, cut in half
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, to add to roasting pan
- 1 cup chicken stock, to add to roasting pan
- 2 tsp. orange zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine salt, garlic, ginger, 1 chopped green onion, 5-spice powder and vegetable oil in small bowl. Rub mixture under the skin of the chicken breast, in cavity and over the skin. Cut 3 green onions in half and stuff inside chicken cavity. Put chicken in oven. Let chicken roast for 30 minutes.
- Add orange juice and chicken stock to roasting pan. Brush chicken with maple glaze and baste chicken every 10 to 15 minutes with the pan juices. If pan juices start to thicken or brown too rapidly, add more chicken stock or orange juice. Roast chicken until golden brown, juices run clear and meat is no longer pink, about 40 to 50 minutes more. The total roasting time for the chicken is about 1 hour and 20 minutes, depending on size of chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the roasting pan, and let rest 15 minutes before carving.
- Add orange zest to pan juices, if desired. If pan juices are too thick, heat roasting pan and thin with a little chicken stock. If pan juices are too thin, heat and reduce until syrupy.
- Serve chicken with pan juices.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market