Makes 4 servings
- 1 whole chickens, about 5 pounds
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 orange, halved
- ½ onion
- ½ cup roughly chopped celery
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Rinse the chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon and orange halves all over the chicken. Stuff the lemon and orange halves into the cavity, along with the onion, celery and thyme.
- Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan. Drizzle the olive oil over the skin and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 1 ½ hours or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 160°F. Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes. Remove and discard the skin before carving.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market