- 5 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2 inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 750 ml bottle dry red wine (recommend Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 10 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs oregano
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 4 cups low-salt beef stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven oven medium-high heat.
- Working in 2 batches, brown short ribs on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer short ribs to a plate. Pour off all but 3 tbsp drippings from the pot.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery to pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onions are browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly until well combined and deep red 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine, then add short ribs with any accumulated juices.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat to medium and simmer until wine is reduced by half, about 25 minutes. Add all herbs to pot along with garlic. Stir in stock. Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to oven.
- Cook until short ribs are tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Transfer short ribs to a platter. Strain sauce from pot into a measuring cup. Spoon fat from surface of sauce and discard; season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in shallow bowls over mashed potatoes with sauce spooned on top.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market