Makes 8-10 servings
- 1 lb lean beef
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (not links)
- 6 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¾ tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp masa harina flour or cornmeal
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 16 oz water
- ½ cup warm water
- Brown beef and breakfast sausage together in a large 12 inch skillet and drain well. For even lower fat rinse meat with hot water, drain and place back in skillet.
- Stir in tomato sauce and 16 oz. of water. Add all ingredients except cayenne pepper and masa (or cornmeal).
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Add cayenne pepper. Mix masa (or cornmeal) and ½ cup warm water. Add to chili and stir well. Simmer 20 minutes. You can simmer for hours if you want, just be sure to stir every 30 minutes.
- You can eat as chili or make nachos, top cheese enchiladas, frito pie or rolled in tortilla with cheddar.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market