- 6-8 ramekins
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup instant polenta
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp freshly grated aged Manchego, Parmigiano Reggiano or grating cheese
- 1/3 cup Gruyere, Fontina, or Swiss
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- 4 gratings fresh nutmeg, optional
- Pinch smoked paprika or cayenne
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter 6-8 8 oz ramekins and set on a baking sheet.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk to a simmer, whisk in polenta then cook over moderate heat, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in pumpkin puree then egg yolks.
- Stir in Manchego, Gruyere, chives, nutmeg, smoked paprika, sea salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- With a rubber spatula, fold 1/3 of egg whites into polenta, then fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared baking dishes, filling no more than 3/4 full.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until soufflés are golden, risen, and only slightly jiggly in the center. Serve immediately on 6 plates lined with colorful cloth napkins, to avoid slipping.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market