Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 pound unpeeled prawns
- 1 glass white wine
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 6 oz brown rice
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Peel the prawns, leaving 4 impeded for a garnish. Put the prawn shells and the wine into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool completely before straining out the prawn shells, and reserving the liquid.
- Chop the tomatoes roughly, and remove the woody cores. Peel and chop the garlic and onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, or saucepan. Cook the onion and garlic gently in the oil, without browning them. Stir in the parsley and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice to the fried onion, and stir well to coat the grains with the oil.
- Add the wine, tomato puree, tomatoes and just enough cold water to cover the rice.
- Season the rice with salt and pepper, and cook for about 20 minutes, until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the peeled prawns and the cheese. Heat through gently, before piling into a serving dish, and topping with the impeded prawns as a garnish.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market