Makes 6 donuts
This recipe is Gluten Free.These delicious donuts aren't traditional at all. But flavored with amaranth, a protein-rich grain, and cheddar cheese they make a terrific breakfast or snack treat.
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup whole grain amaranth
- 1/2 cup Gluten free flour
- Cook potatoes 20Äî25 minutes, until soft. Drain well. Mash potatoes with butter, cheese, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toast amaranth for 15 minutes, shaking pan occasionally to toast evenly. While amaranth is toasting, work flour into potatoes. Split potato mixture into six equal portions. Roll each portion into a 7 inch rope. Roll each rope in toasted amaranth, then form into a donut shape.
- Place donuts on a lightly greased cookie sheet, and bake 12 minutes.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market