For a non-alcoholic version, use apple juice instead of brandy.This recipe is gluten free.
- Handful of dried apricots, halved
- 1/3 cup brandy (or cognac)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 thick-cut pork chops
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Soak the apricots in brandy in a small bowl. Combine the cumin, ginger salt and pepper. Lightly score pork chops on one side with sharp knife.. Rub evenly on both sides of pork chops.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add pork chops, cook 3 minutes each side until browned and mostly cooked all the way through. Remove pork chops to plate (we'll finish cooking the chops in later step).
- Return skillet to medium-low heat and add the butter and onions. Gently saute onions for 5 minutes. Make sure they do not burn. Add the dried apricots (try not to add the brandy just yet) and saute another minute. Turn heat to medium-high and pour in the brandy that the apricots were soaked in. Let simmer for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth. Return the pork chops back into the pan, snuggling them in the sauce. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until the inside of pork chop is barely blush-pink.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market