Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ¾ cup pearl tapioca
- 2 ½ cups boiling water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 8 large fresh peaches
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- Soak pearl tapioca overnight in enough water to cover. Drain soaked tapioca the next day. Put boiling water into top of double boiler over hot water; add soaked tapioca. Cook over hot water for about 15 minutes, until tapioca is transparent. Quickly stir in flavoring, salt, and 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- Meanwhile, peel peaches, remove pits, and cut into halves. Place in a generously buttered baking dish. Sprinkle peaches with remaining 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Pour cooked tapioca over peaches, moving peaches a bit to move some tapioca under them. Return baking dish to the oven and continue baking at 350° for 20 minutes. Serve peach tapioca warm or cold with whipped cream or whipped topping.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market