- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 8 to 10 medium peaches, about 2 pounds peaches
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp almond or vanilla extract
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a mixing bowl. Stir in brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in chopped pecans. In a cup or small bowl, whisk egg with milk. Add milk and egg mixture to dry mixture; stir with a fork until blended. Turn two round cake pans upside-down and grease bottoms. Spread half the dough on each bottom to within about 1/2-inch of edge. Bake at 450° for about 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Peel, slice and sweeten peaches with about 1 1/2 cups sugar or to taste. In a small bowl, whip cream with flavoring until stiff. Place one shortcake on a plate, top with about half of the peaches and whipped cream. Top with second shortcake and remaining peaches and whipped cream.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market