This recipe is Gluten Free from Thanksgiving Gluten Free Cooking Class 2012.
- 2 tbsps cooking oil
- 3 tbsps butter
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/3 pounds in all)
- 1 tsps salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 pound(s) fresh Brussels sprouts (or one 10-ounce package frozen), cut into Ribbons
- 1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- tsp dried red-pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound medium Gluten Free pasta shells
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon each of the oil and the butter over moderate heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Cook the breasts until browned and just done, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes. Cut into small pieces.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over moderately low heat. Add the red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, Brussels sprouts, broth and red-pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until the Brussels sprouts are just done, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, lemon juice, parsley, Parmesan, and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until just done, about 10 minutes. Drain and toss with the sauce.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market