Makes 4 servings
- 4 large mandarin oranges or clementines
- 1 pound bay scallops
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp chopped garlic
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 medium cucumber
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and segment 2 of the oranges, reserving 2 tablespoons of the peel sliced into thin pieces. Juice the remaining 2 oranges and reserve.
- In a large stainless steel bowl, combine the scallops, orange peel, cinnamon, allspice and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Scoop out the cucumber with a small melon baler. Heat a sauté pan over high heat. Drain the scallops and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, chickpeas, cucumber and reserved orange juice. Heat thoroughly and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the reserved mandarin segments to the scallops sauté and remove from heat.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market