Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 ounces Roquefort or other blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 3/4-inch-thick slices Italian or French bread
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices red onion
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Combine ground chuck and salt in medium bowl. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Place 1/4 of cheese in center of each patty. Using moistened hands, fold meat over cheese, enclosing completely. Shape meat into 3/4-inch-thick patties. Sprinkle cracked pepper on both sides.
- Stir together oil and garlic in small bowl. Brush both sides of bread and onion slices with garlic oil.
- Oil grill rack. Place burgers and onion slices on barbecue. Grill burgers to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Grill onion slices until just tender, about 4 minutes per side. Grill garlic bread until golden, about 1 minute per side. Place 1 slice grilled bread on each of 4 plates. Top each with burger and onion slice.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market