- 1- 12 inch Gooseberries prepared pizza crust
- 2 tbsp Bavarian style sweet mustard
- For the Toppings:
- 8 quarter inch slices of cored and peeled tart apple (Granny Smith work great)
- 3 tbsp (or more) of a light bodied olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thin sliced yellow onions (approx 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar or better a light-colored dry malt extract
- 1 cup well rinsed and dried sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup Oktoberfest beer
- 2 tbsp Bavarian style mustard
- 1/2 pound swiss cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 pound pre-cooked veal bratwurst, thinly sliced (white finely ground kind)
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds, roughly crushed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 450F. Brush the pizza crust with the 2 tablespoons of Bavarian sweet mustard.
- Heat a heavier frying pan (cast iron, stainless, etc) and coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the apple slices until lightly browned, then remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel. DonÄôt crowd the pan or the apples might get mushy. After removing the first batch, add some more oil if necessary and heat through before adding more apple slices.
- Add at least 2 more tablespoons oil to the frying pan. Add the sliced onions and turn up the heat a bit for 2-3 minutesÄîjust to get the carmelization of the onions going. Reduce the heat back to low, cover the pan and cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, remove the cover and add the brown sugar (or dried malt extract) and the kraut and stir until heated through.
- Add the beer and cook at a high simmer until the mixture is somewhat glazed On the pizza crust and spread out half of the Swiss cheese , then follow with the onion/kraut mixture on the crust. Top with the sliced brats and cover with the rest of the Swiss.
- Layer with the apple rings and finish off with the red pepper flakes, the caraway seeds and the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 12 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted an bubbly.
- Remove from oven a let it sit a minute or two. Sliced right, will yield 8-servings and just as many compliments.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market