Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 2- inch lengths
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 30 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fettuccine
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Zest of 2 lemons, finely grated
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, drop in the asparagus and cook until al dente. Remove the asparagus with a colander or slotted spoon and plunge it into a bowl of ice water.
- Bring the water back to a boil, drop in the fettuccine and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add the asparagus and cook until the shrimp are cooked through and the asparagus is warmed, about 2 minutes more.
- Return the pasta to the pot and toss it with ½ of the Parmesan, ½ of the parsley, lemon zest, remaining olive oil and reserved cooking liquid. Season with salt and a generous sprinkling of coarsely ground fresh pepper.
- Divide the pasta among 6 warm bowls. Arrange the shrimp and asparagus on top and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve immediately.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market