This recipe is gluten free.
- 1 lb. potatoes (about 2 medium or 3 small Russets or other starchy potato)
- 1/2 onion
- 3/4 - 1 tsp. salt (start with a lower amount, you can add salt at the table)
- Ground pepper
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
- Peel and grate potatoes. Place the grated potatoes in a clean dishcloth or cheesecloth and squeeze the liquid out of them into a bowl. Let the liquid stand a few minutes, then drain the liquid, leaving potato starch at the bottom of the bowl. Add the potatoes.
- Grate the onion over the potatoes. Add dried onion flakes for part or all of the onion, if you like. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. You can use a non-stick pan and just a few drops of oil, if you wish, but for best results use 1/8 to 1/4 inch of oil.
- Using about 1/2 cup, drop the potato mixture into hot oil and flatten with the back of a spoon. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with applesauce and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Fresh apples combine with a vanilla-flavored cream in a shortbread-like crust to create a wonderful dessert which works every time. Additionally, the ingredients are always on hand in a German kitchen. ThatÄôs why this ÄúKuchenÄù is so popular in Germany; almost all cooks know how to bake this cake.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market