Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 small pumpkin
- 2 or 3 large tart apples, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup yellow raisins
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Wash and dry pumpkin. Cut off top, leaving a nice slice for lid. Place pumpkin in a large shallow baking dish and scoop out all seeds. (These may be baked separately if desired. See instructions below )
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Pour apple mixture into pumpkin, and cover with the lid.
- Bake for 1 to 11/2 hours, or until apples are tender.
- When serving, be sure to scoop out some of the pumpkin meat. This compote can be served hot or at room temperature.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market