Makes 4-6 servings
- 4 to 6 chicken leg quarters
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh crushed pineapple or 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, spicy or mild, your favorite
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp minced crystallized or candied ginger, optional
- Wash chicken pieces and pat dry; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil In a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook, turning to brown all sides.
- Arrange the browned chicken in an 11x7-inch baking dish (or larger). Combine remaining pineapple and barbecue sauce in a small bowl.
- Combine flour and water in a cup and stir to form a smooth paste. Stir into the barbecue sauce mixture along with the ground ginger and candied ginger, if using. Pour the sauce over the chicken pieces.
- Bake in a preheated 325° oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Baste with sauce occasionally while the chicken is baking.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market