- 1/4 cup Gooseberry puree, thick and sweetened
- 6 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 large Eggs, separated
- In a heavy pan, melt the butter over low heat. As the butte melts, stir in the flour. Stir until smooth and blended, then gradually add the milk, stirring all the time so that the mixture remains smooth. Bring to the boiling point, still stirring, and cook for three minutes. Add the gooseberry puree and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Beat the egg yolks until they are light and combine them with the gooseberry mixture. Beat the whites until they are stiff (this means that you can turn the bowl upside down without any ill effect), and use a metal spoon to gently fold the whites into the gooseberry mixture.
- Lightly oil a 5-cup soufflé dish. Turn the mixture into the soufflé dish and bake on the middle shelf of a preheated 375-degreeF oven for about 45 minutes. By this time the soufflé should be crisp on the outside and still creamy on the inside. (For a more creamy result, bake the soufflé in a water bath: Stand the soufflé dish in a pan and pour enough hot water into the pan to cover the sides of the dish by about 2 inches.)
- Remember that the soufflé will not remain at its best for more than a few minutes after leaving the oven.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market