- 4 lbs red-skinned apples, about 12
- 1/2 lemon, unpeeled,sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Core apples and cut into eighths. Peel if desired; it's not necessary.
- Place in large, heavy pot with the lemon slices, cinnamon sticks and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often.
- Cook until apples are soft, 15 minutes or so. Remove lemon and cinnamon; stir in sugar.
- Put mixture into food processor and pulse until smooth. Taste and add more sugar if you like. Store in the refrigerator.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market