Makes 40 appetizers
- 40 (1/4 inch thick) slices from 1 baguette
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 oz mild soft goat cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed tender fresh herbs (such as basil, chives, chervil, dill, parsley) OR 1 tablespoon chopped mixed strong fresh herb (such as rosemary or thyme)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1/3 cup well-chilled heavy cream
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Divide baguette slices between 2 shallow baking pans. Lightly brush tops of slices with oil, then lightly season with salt and pepper. Bake, switching position of pans halfway through baking, until toasts are crisp but not hard, about 10 minutes.
- Stir together goat cheese, herbs, shallots, and pepper. Season with salt.
- Beat cream with a whisk until it just holds soft peaks then fold into cheese mixture. Serve with toasts.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market