Makes 10 to 12 servings
This recipe is Gluten Free from Thanksgiving Gluten Free Cooking Class 2012.
- Herb and Mustard Butter:
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion tops
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 14- to 16-pound turkey, rinsed, patted dry inside and out
- 10 fresh Italian parsley sprigs
- 6 fresh sage sprigs
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups Turkey Stock or water
- For herb and mustard butter:
- Whisk all ingredients in medium bowl. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.
- For turkey:
- Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 325°F. Sprinkle main turkey cavity with salt and pepper and spread with 2 tablespoons herb-mustard butter. Starting at neck end of turkey, carefully slide hand between skin and meat of breast, thighs, and upper drumsticks to loosen skin. Spread herb butter over thigh and drumsticks, then over breast meat under skin. Fill main cavity with parsley, sage, and thyme sprigs. Tie legs together loosely. Tuck wing tips under.
- Place turkey on rack set in large roasting pan. Rub outside of turkey all over with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour stock into pan. Roast turkey until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°F to 170°F, about 3 hours. Tilt turkey so juices from main cavity run into pan. Transfer turkey to platter. Tent very loosely with foil; let rest at least 30 minutes (internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees). Reserve pan.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market