- 1/2 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups Water
- 16 ounces No-Salt Tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1/2 cup Medium Barley
- 1/2 cup sliced Celery
- 1/2 cup sliced Carrots
- 2 Cups Beef Stock or Broth
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 9 ounces Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- Brown lean ground beef in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Brown beef until no longer pink.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are tender. Drain off excess fat.
- Add water, no-salt tomatoes, barley, celery, carrots, beef bouillon, basil, bay leaf, and black pepper.
- Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer 40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add mixed vegetables; cook 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add additional water if soup becomes too thick.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market