Makes 4 to 6 servings
Rich and creamy Harvest Pumpkin Soup is sure to warm you up when the air turns crisp.This recipe is gluten free.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15-oz) can pure pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Toasted walnuts
- Pumpkin seeds
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, coriander and nutmeg and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the broth, water, pumpkin and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the flavors have melded.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before working in batches to purée the soup in a blender until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Return the soup to a clean pot. Stir in the half-and-half. (additional broth may be added as necessary to adjust the soup's consistency) Heat the soup gently over low heat until hot (do not boil). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles, toasted walnuts and pumpkin seeds.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market