Makes 12 muffins
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup rye flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp caraway seed
- ¼ tsp onion salt
- 1 beaten egg
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 ¼ cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese, divided
- Lightly grease twelve 2 ½ inch muffin cups or line with paper baking cups; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl stir together all-purpose flour, rye flour, baking powder, sugar, caraway seed, and onion salt. Make a well in the center.
- In a small mixing bowl combine egg, milk and oil; add all at once to flour mixture. Add ham and ¾ cup of the cheese. Stir just till moistened. (The batter should be lumpy.)
- Spoon into the prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven about 20 minutes, or till golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake for about 1 minute more, or till cheese is melted. Remove from pans; cool slightly on racks.