Makes 8 servings
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- ¼ cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 15 oz. can pineapple sliced, reserve juice
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce of choice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice from concentrate
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, toasted
- Put meat in a large mixing bowl. Add salad dressing, 1 tablespoon pineapple juice, salt and pepper. Mix well and shape into 8 patties.
- In a small saucepan, combine ¼ cup pineapple juice, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, honey and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Cook over low heat until sugar has dissolved, about 10 minutes. Grill patties on hot grill about 3 minute per side. Baste with barbecue sauce mixture.
- Continue to cook on first side until done. Turn patties. Baste with sauce and continue to cook until burgers are done. Push burgers to cooler side of grill. Top with the Swiss cheese.
- Place pineapple on grill and brown on both sides. When browned place one slice of pineapple on each patty. Transfer patties to platter.
- Serve on buns with remaining sauce if desired.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market