- 16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Grate cheese and leave at room temperature overnight. Melt butter and allow it to cool to room temperature. Mix the flour and other dry ingredients together. Then add the butter and flour to the cheese. Mix together by well Äì youÄôll need to use your hands. Use a cookie press to shape the dough into strips on a flat cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees until firm, but not brown. Remove the straws from the cookie sheet once theyÄôve cooled a bit and break them into two or three inch pieces. Store the cheese straws in plastic zip-top bags.
- A few thoughts: You have to watch these like a hawk! If they brown, then they taste burnt. These generally take more than 5 minutes to cook, but less than 10. However, given the variations in oven temperature, just keep your eye on them until you figure out how many minutes it takes your oven to cook them.
- My grandmother used a small star-shaped tip on her cookie press, so that the cheese straws were long and crinkly. My cookie press doesnÄôt have a small star, so I used the ribbon tip. I thought that it was a little harder to get a continuous strip with the tip, but I may just be out of practice.
- Oh, and if you can find it, use Cracker BarrelÄôs Sharp Cheddar Cheese. ItÄôs the secret ingredient.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market