- 1 pint of gooseberries, rinsed
- 2 tbsp of water
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 medium egg yolk
- Place the gooseberries and water a non-corroding saucepan. Cover and cook on a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the gooseberries are mushy.
- Purée the gooseberries through a strainer to produce about 1 ¼ cups of purée.
- Stir the sugar and butter into the warm purée and heat, stirring constantly.
- Whisk the eggs and the egg yolk just until mixed, then whisk in a little of the hot gooseberry mixture to heat the eggs.
- Return to the pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is well thickened, and has reached a temperature of 170°F (75°C).
- Pour into a container, cover, and chill.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market