- 2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Corn meal plus 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup Boiling water
- 2 cans (15 oz) sweetened whole gooseberries
- 1 tsp Honey
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Sift the flour with 1/2 cup corn meal, baking powder and salt. Using pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter or margarine. Quickly add the boiling water, mixing in well. Divide the dough in half, and pat half of it in a buttered 8"x8"x2" baking pan.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tb corn meal. Mash half of the gooseberries in their syrup, then stir in remaining gooseberries, honey and lemon juice; pour over the dough. Top with remaining dough; sprinkle with remaining Tb corn meal. Bake in very hot oven (425F) oven for 30 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Cut into squares and serve.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market