Makes 8 servings
- 1 loaf of heavy gluten-free bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes to equal 5 to 6 cups
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, cut into pieces
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp dried sage, or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh sage
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme, or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups stock (vegetable, chicken or turkey)
- 2 persimmons, chopped coarsely
- 2 pears, such as Bartlett or Asian pears, cored and chopped coarsely
- Additional salt and pepper for seasoning
- 3 tbsp butter
- Place rack in middle of the oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread gluten-free bread cubes evenly on a baking sheet. Toast in oven for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven and set aside. Raise oven heat to 375 degrees.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and add walnut pieces. Toast for 4 minutes, agitating every 15 seconds to allow for even toasting and to prevent burning. Walnuts are done when they are fragrant and have turned a few shades darker. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium flame, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil until it shimmers. Add onions and sauté until they are translucent and slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add sage and thyme, sautéing for 30 seconds, then celery, sautéing for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and bread cubes and mix well. Drizzle in stock and remaining olive oil, mixing until bread cubes are coated. Remove from heat and allow to soak for 5 minutes, mixing once halfway through.
- Gently stir in persimmons, pears and toasted walnuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then pour the whole thing into a lightly greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Dot the top with butter and bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market