- 1/4 cup plain, nonfat yogurt (make sure it's gluten-free) or sour cream
- 1/4 cup lemon olive oil (or the best quality olive oil you can afford)
- 1 egg
- zest of one lemon
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 half cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup fresh ground almond meal (fresh ground tastes best)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- First, combine the yogurt and olive oil well. Stir in the egg, then the lemon juice and zest, to make a coherent mixture.
- Next, combine all the dry ingredients together. Slowly, fold the wet ingredients into the dry. The dough will be sticky. In fact, you might have dough all over your fingers by the time this process is done. Oh darn.
- Form small balls with the sticky dough and roll each ball into sugar. This will make the finished cookies crunchy and shimmery. Place on a baking sheet covered with a silpat, or a layer of parchment paper.
- Cook for twelve minutes, approximately. The cookies will be soft at this point, but they will feel fully formed. Let them sit on the baking sheet, on the top of the oven, for about five minutes.
- Carefully, move the cookies to a cooling rack. Let them sit there for another five minutes, during which time they will harden in the air.
- Now, try not to eat them all in one sitting.
- Makes nine large cookies or twelve rather smaller ones.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market