Makes 24 bars
- 1/3 cup raisins OR currants
- 2 tbsp brandy OR rum
- 2 peeled, cored apples sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon (1/2 tsp for apples - 1 1/2 tsp for pudding )
- 6 thick slices, cubed (1/2"} Gluten Free Bread
- 2 cups heavy cream OR canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 lightly beaten eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Combine raisins and 2 tablespoons brandy in a small bowl. Soak for 20 minutes. Drain and reserve brandy.
- Sauté sliced apples with maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon over medium low heat until translucent, but not mushy, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat cream OR coconut milk and sugar over medium high heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add 1 tablespoon of the hot cream mixture to the lightly beaten eggs and whisk. Slowly drizzle about 3 more tablespoons of the hot liquid into the eggs and whisk constantly. This is called "tempering the eggs" and prevents them from turning to scrambled eggs when you add them to the hot liquid.
- Slowly drizzle the egg mixture into the pan of hot liquid. Whisk constantly. Cook on low heat for 2 more minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Add cinnamon and brandy reserved from soaking raisins.
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium sized baking dish (9x9"). Place in preheated oven, just until butter melts. Remove from oven and brush butter over the bottom and sides of the baking dish.
- Put cubed bread, drained raisins and cooked apples in a large bowl. Pour warm liquid over bread mixture. Stir to combine and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Pour bread pudding mixture into the warm, buttered baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the pudding is golden brown and set.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market